You may not be trying to prove yourself or even looking for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) credits, but giving your home an environmentally friendly remodel will be your invaluable contribution to future generations by not depleting the current resources or endangering the environment. Here are some steps to ensure a green DIY project is met.
Start with the design
Any remodel must start with a design in mind, therefore, that is where your green renovation approach should start as well. However, consult widely to get professional views. Considerations you should make in your design include:
- Lighting-maximize on day light
- Water & energy conservation in appliances
- Resource management
Consult and start your remodel with a sustainable and green design. While this ensures you are happy with the end result, it also moves one step in the right direction to saving the world.
Materials for an Environmentally Friendly Remodel
Your choice of materials is what defines your green renovation. Choose them carefully for an environmental friendly remodel. The materials you choose should meet the following goals:
- Save valuable natural resources
- Minimize exposure to toxins and chemicals
- Be energy efficient
- The majority of materials should be Recycled/reused/refurbished
Environment friendly building and remodeling materials not only help you enjoy lower utility bills but also give your home a better resale value. Examples of such materials include bamboo plywood and recycled counter tops.
Eliminate your waste properly
Reduce, reuse, and recycle are the key words for any environmentally friendly remodel. Here are some points to consider:
- Find out recycling options-state’s environmental departments, waste management companies, and even green contractors should be able to guide you on recycling options for your remodeling debris.
- Salvage what you can and put it up for a sale, reuse it, or even donate it.
- Deconstruct instead of demolishing. In this way, you will be able to salvage a lot of material.
With any construction project there will always be debris you can do nothing with other than dump. Waste notwithstanding, its disposal should be the least of your worries because affordable dumpster rentals are all over the country.