Dumpster rentals are more complex than you may think. But that doesn’t mean it needs to be difficult or a burden on your project timeline and budget. A little planning and research up front will prevent surprises that could have been avoided. Follow these best practices below and your dumpster rental experience will be a breeze.
- Know Your Size – Check out our sizing guide to determine how much waste you plan to need to haul and what size dumpster you need to fit it.
- Know Your Timeline – Understand when and how long you need the dumpster and how quickly you will fill it up.
- Get a Permit – Dumpsters located on city-owned property always need a permit. Other restrictions may apply.
- Know the Potential Fees You Face – Overtime, overfill, overweight charges can occur unpredictably and vary per hauler. Make sure you know them upfront.
- Order by category of waste – If you have heavy debris or a LEED-certified construction site, you will want haulers to treat your order differently than a standard rental.
- Understand limitations of the hauler – Inclines, soft ground, public walkways, trees… there are a number of variables that can impact how and where a dumpster is dropped off.
- Select Based on Square Footage Alone – Heavy construction debris can quickly exceed the weight capacity of a dumpster before it is even half full.
- Fall Back on a Swap Out – Swap outs are not guaranteed to come immediately and can cost as much as the initial dumpster rental.
- Assume the Dumpster Can Fit – Make sure your desired drop off point allows for truck access and room to drop off and pick-up.
- Overfill the dumpster – An overfilled dumpster is a hazard to the hauler as well as the public because materials can fall out of the dumpster in transit.
- Add waste items that don’t belong – You can’t put just any item in a dumpster. Some limits are obvious like hazardous waste, others are not, like mattresses and food.
- Assume haulers are inflexible – Haulers set standards so that they can control the logistics of their business. If you need a dumpster fast, or have other unique demands, always ask the hauler first!
Did you know that DumpsterMarket haulers compete for your business? That’s right – search all of the available haulers in your area instantly. With guaranteed price transparency and quality service, you can be confident you are getting the best deal on a dumpster rental.
Now that you know the Do’s and Don’ts of dumpster rentals, book today!